Thursday 10 April 2008

Religion pt2




Sadly, our perception of religion is summed up, at least currently, by the most woefully misinterpreted of words Jihad. It is no wonder we are not predisposed to religion.

Jihad. Holy War. God hardens our hearts? We are bastards.

Way too much ground has been covered in this issue. We have all flown high in Winchester Cathedral. I don't want to simplify or rehash old ground, although I probably have already.

Yet, it seems to me that many have died in the name of religion. But, may have died in the name of pretty much anything we can think of - pharmaceutical testing, weapons testing, oil, land, lebensraum - to name but a few of the modern 'needs'. So religion is an addition to limitless indictment. However, unfortunately for religion, it has been popularised by images of muslims and guns or monks and tanks - or Knights Templar and Moors. So while I can easily and all too readily blame religion for conflict, I at least recognise that conflict will happily exist without the fuel that religion - particularly at the moment seems to be injecting.

So in my quest to see if still relevant, I've hardly achieved much more than dredge up all the common issues and shed limited light on all of them.

Next post - I'll give my own highly personalised version and see if that helps.

No comments: